Picture Perfect Thread Holder Tutorial


As I mentioned before, we live in a 2 bed, 1 bath, 828sq ft condo.  Needless to say, every inch of flooring is occupied.  It has now become mandatory that every object that enters must be dual purposed. 

Craft Organizing Idea:  Get something off the floor (where there is no available space) and onto the wall (where I still have a little space available)!  What to pick first… How about… that nasty brown box that is storing all my thread! 
    Now, I didn’t have a lot of extra money to spend so I needed some creative ideas.  I was inspired by this ingenious idea found on grey luster girl's blog.  Here is what I had lying around and how I made a similar one... 
Picture Perfect Thread Holder Tutorial
Materials:
Old Picture Frame            
Corkboard
Hot Glue Gun
Nails – I used 2” long nails
Pencil and Ruler   
Directions:
1.      Disassemble your picture frame. 
(Discard everything but the frame and back.  I couldn't just throw away the protective plastic or picture template inside!  I just haven't decided what I want to do with them yet!)

2.      Use your hot glue gun to secure the corkboard to the picture frame back.

3.      Add your frame onto your new corkboard back.

3.      Measure and mark where you want your nails to be.
(I took more time than needed here because math skills are not my best subject.  Measuring would be ideal but I am a more visual person.  My tip for this is to find 2 or more of the biggest spools you plan on hanging up.  Set them on the corkboard however far apart you will want them.  Lightly press your pencil through the middle of the spool to make a mark.  If your pencil doesn’t work use your nails to lightly make a hole.  Do this over the whole board)

4.      Hammer Nails through the corkboard and backing.
(I don’t know if you’ll want to do it exactly like I did but I found the easiest way was to place a thin rug on the hearth of our fireplace, set the picture frame on top, and hammered the nails so they went all the way through the corkboard and backing.  This left the nails poking through the back a little but helped hold them in place.  You might want to test out a couple nails before you do the whole thing.  Make sure you can hang the frame on the wall without the nails touching the wall.  Also make sure your nails are big enough to hold your thread)

5.      Load the nails full of all your thread, hang on the wall, and enjoy!!
           
I really scored with this project!  Not only did I get the old box of thread off the floor but I also got rid of the corkboard and nails that were lying around! (I did have to send the hubby to the store because I realized half way through I didn’t have enough nails! But all in all I cleared up some much needed floor space and only spent a few bucks!
My craft station ... A work in progress


Comments

  1. Love the thread holder!!! I just saw your link over on Grey Luster Girl's post about the one she made. I'm super excited to make one of my own!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love this idea so much more than that old brown box! It also makes it faster and easier to find the thread I'm looking for!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment